Thursday, August 25, 2011

O's Win A Game But Lose A Legend

There was no post-game celebration after the O's beat the Twins 6-1 on Wednesday night.

Mike Flanagan, an Orioles legend, was found dead earlier at his home.

I never met him, so I don't have much to say...he was a legend to me, a 20-game winning lefty that helped the Birds win a World Series title. But just watching the MASN squad post-game was hard; the man was a hero and a friend to many. He will be missed.

It was hard to hold back tears listening to Rick Dempsey talk about catching the Cy Young winner. Flanagan was an Oriole through and through, and his passing has ripped through the entire organization.

Anyone who reads this post should take a look at Peter Schmuck's post, as well as WBAL's report, which includes audio from a very somber Joe Angel and Fred Manfra reflecting on the loss. John Eisenberg, my professor at Towson University, also wrote a very moving piece. I only wish I had had the privilege to have met Mike Flanagan.

The Orioles close-out a 10-game road-trip Thursday afternoon. Jo-Jo Reyes takes the mound, as the Birds attempt to sweep the Twins in four games. I'm sure the players will all have heavy hearts, but I hope they play with the passion Flanagan had for the game of baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment