Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bats Go Cold Up North

After scoring a season-best 12 runs on Tuesday, the O's were shut out in a 3-0 defeat to the Blue Jays on Wednesday night.

There is no rhyme or reason to this 2011 squad. In the back of my mind, as happy as I was Tuesday, I was telling the team to save a few runs for the next game...they didn't listen. After slapping 16 hits, eight for extra-bases, the O's managed just four hits the very next day.

I don't care if the pitcher was a lefty. The Jays' starter on Tuesday night was one of the hottest pitchers in all of baseball over the past month, and the O's spanked him.

Buck Showalter scolded Alfredo Simon, who gave up all three runs, for only lasting five innings while throwing just over 100 pitches. Jake Arrieta lasted only five innings on Tuesday, and allowed four runs. But he won.

It's funny what happens with a little support.

After 100 games, the Orioles are still stuck in last place, and carry a 41-59 record into Thursday night's contest.

I wanted a winning season, but I would take .500 ball at this point. That seems so far off now...

No comments:

Post a Comment